From this article Facts on Foods That Speed Up Metabolism:
· The amount of calories you eat, your genes and the amount of calories that you burn while eating and exercising determine your metabolism.
· The body breaks down carbohydrates, then fats and finally proteins.
· The food that you eat makes up 5 to 10 percent of your metabolic rate.
· Foods that speed up your metabolism are vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, fish, healthy fats and whole grains.
· Look for these vegetables when shopping: spinach, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, cabbage, beet roots, assorted beans and dark, leafy vegetables.
· Any type of fresh fruit is good for you, but try eating blueberries, melons, apples, citrus fruits and tomatoes.
· Eat healthy fats like nuts and peanut butter.
· The omega 3 fatty acids in fish boost your metabolism by burning up to 400 calories a day.
· Whole grains found in brown rice, cereal, barley and oats speed up your metabolism as well.
Besides the right foods, the right exercise can boost your metabolism so you get the most for your time spent exercising. One study showed a nine-fold improvement in fat burning following a high intensity interval training (HIIT) program. HIIT is the type of personal training we do at Kelly’s Austin Personal Training and at New Orleans Ultimate Fitness Trainers. The personal training sessions are short (20 to 30 minutes) and infrequent (once or twice a week) but demanding especially in regard to calorie burning. Make the right eating choices, get the most out of your time in the gym, and then engage in activities you enjoy. It is a prescription for fitness that most can follow.