Most types of exercise primarily address one aspect of fitness, i.e. yoga for flexibility or running for cardiovascular endurance, while doing little to address the other aspects of fitness. You can effectively address several aspect of fitness with a consolidated high intensity training (HIT) workout. This is a workout anyone of any age or fitness level can do. In fact those who are out of shape will see the most improvement. You slowly build on the previous week’s improvement. No other form of exercise comes close to producing the following benefits:
1. HIT is a series of strength training exercises covering all the major muscle groups. With adequate rest and recovery you will come back stronger.
2. Stronger muscles place greater demands on bones and connective tissue. The body adapts to withstand those demands. The result – increased bone density.
3. HIT results in the body burning additional calories four different ways making leanness more achievable.
4. Stronger muscles place greater demands on the cardiovascular system leading to oftentimes remarkably improved cardiovascular function. HIT is relentlessly non-stop and produces greater excessive post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) than any other form of exercise resulting in more calories burned (see # 3).
5. A properly designed HIT workout will do more than just increase flexibility; it will increase strength over that increased range of motion (enhanced flexibility).
6. Enhanced flexibility and increased strength give an increased measure of protection from injuries.
There is a long list of health benefits as well. The HIT workouts at Austin Strength Training and New Orleans Strength Training produce measurable improvements in each of these six factors of fitness. We use MedX exercise equipment; its medical rehab features allows us to safely work with those with limiting conditions. The workouts last about 30 minutes and are usually done once a week. You will still have time in your week for yoga or running.